A little bit about you
You’re passionate about design and technology, you love to engineer functional logic and databases for beautiful looking websites, creating elegant code that helps improve the application experience for the people that use them.
You love the freedom of experimenting with new technologies and promoting them to the rest of the team to keep them at the leading edge of website and application development.
You enjoy collaborating in a team, a place where you can truly make a difference and help shape the work and processes for the benefit of yourself and everyone else.
Say hello to Carbon...
We’ve been looking for you!
We’re an award-winning branding and web design agency based in MediaCityUK.
At Carbon we believe in individuals who wish to shape their own future within the company and so training, knowledge sharing and personal development is encouraged and funding / time out to learn is offered.
We are expanding our digital team and looking for a permanent creative thinker and problem solver. We consider ourselves to be at the intersection of art / design and technology and we’re looking for a passionate Full Stack / Mid Level PHP Developer to help further our vision in this field.
Our expectations of you:
- You’ll have a great commercial portfolio with working examples, we’ll want you to talk through some projects you’ve worked on, the challenges, solutions and technical goals
- You love all things web, with a desire to help shape the back end development processes and introduce new technologies and standards
- You are able to clearly communicate your ideas to the creative and digital teams at Carbon, you will help pioneer new technologies and methodologies with them
- You are creative and forward thinking in your approach to solving functional problems
- You can integrate well with a team of developers, creatives and account managers
- You enjoy involvement in projects from initial concept through to delivery
- You are willing and confident in communicating with clients independently
- You love the variety of different client projects, iterating them forward and improving them over time
- You love tooling internal web applications for the benefit of Carbon and working alongside other team members sharing your knowledge and learning from theirs
Some things we’d find attractive about you:
- Good understand of PHP alongside strong front end development skills – W3c compliant HTML, CSS with SCSS
- Developing websites that adhere to Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG – AA and above)
- A mobile first approach to building responsive websites
- Commercial experience developing with PHP for a minimum of 1-2 years
- A minimum of 1-2 years experience working with WordPress
- Developing bespoke WordPress themes (including the use of WordPress Hooks)
- Experience developing custom built plugins and template themes for WordPress
- Experience with Advanced Custom Fields (ACF for WordPress)
- Knowledge (or willingness to learn) PHP Frameworks such as Symfony / Laravel
- Have a good knowledge/understanding of OOP and Design Patterns
- GIT fundamentals and knowledge using command line
- You are comfortable with the Linux terminal
Bonus skills and knowledge:
If you know some of this stuff, you’ll be our perfect match:
- AWS Management (EC2 / RDS) – Server setup / maintenance
- Configuration management (e.g. Ansible, Chef, Puppet)
- You are able to setup a production environment in a LAMP/LEMP
- Understand of and experience working with WooCommerce
- Experience developing custom plugins for WordPress
We’ve got some amazing things to offer you. For a start you’ll get to work alongside our super friendly team of 16 other award winning creatives, developers and account managers working in a truly supportive environment, not to mention…
- Excellent base salary
- Company pension scheme
- Flexi working
- Super cool office in the heart of MediaCityUK
- Great opportunities for career progression
- A personal development budget to spend on courses, events etc
- Company support to help train and develop your skills
- Team fun days out and volunteering opportunities
- Your birthday off
- Company pension scheme
- Employee benefit scheme – with savings and access to wellbeing and health services
- Great holiday entitlement which increases with service
- Ride2Work scheme
How to apply:
If you think you are a great match we would love to hear from you. Please email a short message about yourself, a link to your portfolio and a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You could also include links to your GitHub, CodePen etc, if you have them (then our devs can get excited by your code).